Megu is worth a visit, period!
Yes it comes with the frills of a five star restaurant and it is essentially upscale but the hype is worth it.
Ambience: The walk into the restaurant is majestic. The restaurant itself is divided into sections to suit the guests. The interiors are sophisticated and grand but simple. Hues of earthy colours are used in the walls and sitting. A huge glass Buddha structure sits in the middle of the main restaurant and there is an open sushi kitchen. Everything about the place screams “upscale”.
Service : The staff is obviously super attentive and efficient, nothing less is expected from a five star dining experience. Food arrived fairly quick and the manager himself took care extra care of us which was a plus point.
Food: Getting down to the real business, the food was actually outstanding and the prices were justified.
• Lobster sushi roll was humongous & super filling and the taste, well wow!
Authentic & hearty!
• Shrimp sushi roll was my absolute favourite. Such beautiful flavours packed in the crispy shrimp and a lovely tangy sauce on the side.
• Tiger Prawns looked appetising but failed to deliver any flavour or texture. Very bland and cooked poorly.
• Rolled pork belly was a two piece skewered dish priced at a bomb but extremely meagre. Two pieces? Hello!??
The pork belly had an unbelievable smokey depth of flavour and tasted exceptional. That one piece had me struck at the first bite. Beautiful.
• Spicy Salmon sushi was delicate and tasted divine with the pickled ginger & fresh wasabi that the manager grated right in front of us
• Dragon sushi roll was a culmination of an interesting choice of ingredients and tasted delicious topped with fried crisps. Heavenly taste and texture.
• Chocolate Cake was from the hotel bakery specially for my birthday & was very well made full of chocolate goodness.
Verdict: Yes, the restaurant is extravagant but the quality is stunning and worth a visit. The sushi is among the very best I have tasted & the limited but diverse menu is enough to ensure an exciting Japanese dining experience
Cost/ person : Rs 4000
Will I visit again? Yes.